It is an acute diarrhoeal disease.
Agent : Vibrio cholera.
Mode of transmission : · Contaminated water
- Contaminated food and drink
- Direct contact
Incubation period : Few hours to 5 days.
STAGE OF EVACUATION : Profuse painless watery diarrhea.
STAGE OF COLLAPSE : Signs of dehydration, sunken eyes, hollow cheeks, scaphoid abdomen, subnormal temp, Washerman’s hand, pulse absent.
STAGE OF RECOVERY : Patient begins to show signs of clinical improvement.
- Stool examination
- Examination of vomitus
- Examination of water sample
- Examination of food sample
SEVERELY DEHYDRATED : comprise of 10% patient who require IV fluid. They should be taken to a nearby hospital as they have lost a large amount of water.
MILDLY DEHYDRATED : Comprise of 90% should be treated at home. Oral rehydration therapy is given.
- Verification of disease by various lab investigations
- Notifiable disease
- Early case finding – whether the case is mild, moderate or severe.
- Establishment of treatment centre
- Rehydration therapy
- Sanitary measures to be adopted
- Potable water to be used
- Proper excreta disposal
- Food should be kept under strict hygienic conditions
- Concurrent disinfection must be employed
- Health education
– effectiveness of ORS
– food hygiene practice
– benefits of cooked food
Please follow and like us: